General Media Information
- At 2.5 million square feet, it is the largest gaming facility in Canada.
- The complex is built on a 23-acre site, located on Fallsview Boulevard, overlooking both the Horseshoe (Canadian) and American Falls.
Fallsview Casino Resort's main features include:
- 200,000 sq. ft. casino, operating 24 hours a day. The casino offers more than 3,000 slots and 100 gaming tables, including a Salon Prive (high-limit gaming area), dedicated Asian Pit, and Poker Room.
- A 30-storey hotel with 374 guest rooms, including 85 suites, of which nine are VIP suites. Most provide a magnificent view of the Falls.
- The Avalon Theatre, a state-of-the-art theatre with 1,500 seats on three sides of a large stage area, a special VIP viewing area and balcony.
- A full-service hotel Spa including treatment rooms, fitness facilities, a swimming pool and space to relax.
- 30,000 sq. ft of meeting and exhibition space
- 3,000 car parking garage
- 365 Club, located on the gaming floor, is used for cabarets, lounge acts and exciting performers.
- 225,000 sq. ft. retail, entertainment and restaurants, including more than a dozen dining options.
- A shopping galleria winding through the main floor of the complex featuring an array of luxury boutiques.
On-site restaurants include:
- 21 Club – the resort's Steak & Seafood restaurant
- The Golden Lotus – very authentic Asian cuisine
- Ponte Vecchio – Four Diamond award-winning Italian cuisine
- R5 – upscale lounge and bar overlooking the Falls
- The 750-seat Grand Buffet with spectacular views of the Falls
- The Falls Deli – fresh sandwiches and salads
- Mama Mias! – Italian fare
- Johnny Rocket's – a 1950s-style diner
- The Famous – a bistro featuring around-the-clock dining and coffee
- Sweet Point – Real Italian ice cream and other sweets
- Starbucks – premium coffee shop
- Canyon Creek Chophouse – moderately priced steakhouse
- The Falls and Firkin – traditional English pub
- Tim Hortons
- Shoeless Joe's – sports themed casual dining
- Auntie Anne's Pretzels
- A Tuscan Market – European delicatessen
- Fallsview Casino Resort was designed by a joint venture of award-winning Zeidler Partnership and Bregman + Hamann Architects. Other projects by Zeidler Partnership include the Ford Centre for the Performing Arts, the Eaton Centre and Ontario Place in Toronto, the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga, and the award-winning Raymond F. Kravis Center for the Performing Arts in West Palm Beach, Florida
- The resort's Belle Époque style, featuring stone and other natural materials, was created by Terry Dougall, founder of Dougall Design Associates, the firm responsible for such properties as Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, the MGM Grand, the Luxor, the Monte Carlo, the Venetian and the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace.
- The building has been designed in accordance with the ancient Chinese philosophy of Feng Shui.
- The east façade of the turn-of-the-century hydro distributing station that once stood on the site has been integrated into the casino resort.
Construction of Fallsview Casino Resort required:
- 85,000 cubic metres of concrete
- 5 tower cranes and 1 man-hoist
- 7,000 metric tons of reinforcing steel
- 7,500 metric tons of structural steel
- 10,500 pieces of glass
- 1,300,000 lbs. of sheet metal
- 2,000,000 ft. of electrical conduit
- 9,000,000 ft. of electrical wiring
- 15,000 light fixtures
The building contains:
- 34 elevators
- 30,000 ft. of sanitary drainage
- 6 chillers
- 54 major air handling units
- 3 steam boilers
- 4 heating boilers
- 31 heat exchangers
- 19 expansion tanks
- 124 pumps
- 212 supply & exhaust fans
- The total investment value in the casino resort complex is $1 billion.
- During construction, the peak on-site workforce was 1,500 workers (65% from the local area).
- November 1995 – Government of Ontario announces plans for commercial casino in Niagara Falls, beginning with an interim casino on the site of Maple Leaf Village
- September 1996 – Amid preparations for interim casino opening, Request for Proposals issued for permanent, world-class casino/tourism gateway complex
- December 1996 – Casino Niagara opens, drawing more than 30,000 visitors in its first 24 hours
- February 1998 – Falls Management Group L.C. selected to develop new casino resort
- November 1998 – Falls Management assumes responsibility for Casino Niagara
- October 2001 – More than 150 community representatives join in groundbreaking ceremony to start construction of new casino resort project
- April 2003 – Government of Ontario announces that "interim" Casino Niagara will remain open
- August 2003 – New name, logo for casino resort unveiled – "Fallsview Casino Resort"
- June 2004 – Fallsview Casino Resort Grand Opening
- June 2004 –Fallsview Casino Resort opens to the public after receiving regulatory approval.
- January 2005 - Fallsview Casino Resort opens its dedicated poker room, featuring eight tables offering Texas Hold 'Em, Omaha, Omaha High/Low and Seven Card Stud
- September 2005 - Relaunch of the renovated Casino Niagara following 12 million dollars in renovations
- May 2006 – Casino Niagara opens its own on-site Yuk Yuk's comedy club
- May 2007 – Fallsview Casino Resort opens Golden Lotus, one of the finest Chinese restaurants in North America
- October 2008 – R5 opens, Fallsview's new martini and cocktail lounge
- October 2008 – Fallsview Casino Resort awarded "Ontario's Favourite Casino" by the readers of the Toronto Sun
- November 2008 – Ponte Vecchio opens, Fallsview's new Italian restaurant
- March 2012 - 21 Club opens, Fallsview's Steak and Seafood restaurant.
The Avalon Theatre is a state-of-the-art theatre at Fallsview Casino Resort. Built to accommodate approximately 1,500 guests, the design of the Avalon Theatre creates an extremely intimate entertainment experience, with the furthest seats less than 30 metres / 100 feet from the stage.
The Avalon Theatre was designed to be infinitely flexible. All 1,000 seats on the floor and mezzanine areas can be removed or re-arranged, thus allowing various seating plans and configurations, including banquet style, classroom style, dance floor and raised runway. The stage can even be converted into additional seating, creating a four-sided seating plan for events like boxing. This flexibility makes the Avalon suitable for a variety of events, including concerts, Broadway-style musicals, dance troupes and headlining entertainment.
Opened on June 8, 2004, with the rest of Fallsview Casino Resort, the Avalon was christened with a pair of shows by Canadian crooner Paul Anka. Since then, many headline entertainers have played the room, including:
- Jay Leno
- Bobby Vinton
- Donna Summer
- KC and the Sunshine Band
- David Spade
- Al Pacino
- Glenn Frey
- Kelly Clarkson
- Donny Osmond
- Lionel Richie
- Larry the Cable Guy
- Sophia Loren
- Montgomery Gentry
- Olivia Newton-John
- Ringo Starr
- Carol Burnett
- Keith Urban
- Huey Lewis
- Aretha Franklin
- Jessica Simpson
- Jon Stewart
- Harry Connick Jr.
- Regis Philbin
- Tony Bennett